Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Lovely Racket



Today I circle back around to the Old “Plank Road.” I am now imagining playing hopscotch on the boards of an old beach walkway; the chalk lines faded and smudged; I’m hearing the clackity-clack of my stone as it skips across the squares. This music reaches deep within, reminding us of our older younger selves.

In this recording, “Plank Road” pulls out all the stops. We’ve got John Williams singing and playing full-tilt boogy from start to finish. Dig that kazoo! We’ve also got Scot stomping his drum, thumping his bass, and singing—all way out he’self—from somewhere across the room. I was never sure how much of this song was Scot and John’s. The arrangement, which I love, for sure is theirs. Looking to the internet, I see that Peter, Paul & Mary are credited with the lyrics, but it seems like this song has a component that must go farther back? Yes. No?

Today’s artwork is an angel triptic. I’m not sure what the story is with those wings? Once again, this is what I consider to be Scot’s classic graphite technique, with both acrylic wash and digital manipulations. These wide-eyed beings remind me of some angels I’ve known here on Earth, one particular one--by the name of Ellen--comes to mind. Fortunately for us, she left us a beautiful daughter who looks just like her.

This song is dedicated to all people with the initials ML. The artwork is dedicated to three sisters--and to Ellen (who was one of three sisters)--and to her daughter, whose name is a beautiful whisper. It is also dedicated to a friend who sits on death watch with her mother--someone who just may have played hop scotch on a beach boardwalk.







1 comment:

Unknown said...

merI don't know if I have ever had anything dedicated to me before but this one is so special because of the sweet angel who made it happen. May we all be so lucky to have a few angels in our lives. Heaven knows how much we need them in these trying times. The world needs to figure out how to be more kind to one another and if you see someone who needs a hand, lend him yours. Let me tell you, it makes you feel great. Love you little sister.