Monday, June 22, 2009

Dance Card



Ho, Ho. What have we here? Don’t look too close, and you won’t notice. Today's artwork is an original pen and ink drawing, colored with acrylic wash. The music for today is a song Scot wrote for “The Sponges”, back in 1979. He and I had dueling ‘I want to dance with you' songs. His (today's track) was called, “Baby Don’t Ya Do It.” Scot was enjoying learning to play the bass, and the punchy New Wave and Punk riffs were a fun place for him to start We recorded this track at a studio down in Redwood City (I’m pretty sure it was). "The Sponges" had won the recording session at a recent ‘Battle of the Bands’ in San Francisco. With us that night in the studio were the band’s friends, Pete and Mike. The improvisational spirit struck them both, all on their own. You'll hear them on the bridge. For me, it’s nice to hear their voices, and remember that time, and a lot of other good times.







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Scot's creatures are so inventive. This one has me scratching my head to figure out what they are. On the other hand, the music was a toe-tapper again. So many choices to be made. QM