Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Kidnapped



Got dragged off to the water today. My friends Katie and Bernie called me last night—late—and asked James and I to go out on a party boat on Lake Monroe, the next day. When I woke up, it was pouring rain, dreary as can be, and downright chilly! I called Katie at 8:30. She said yes, Bernie says it’s going to blow throw fast, and then be fine. I headed out skeptically, only forty minutes late. Gosh darn if he wasn’t right, and as a result, we basically had the entire lake to ourselves on this wonderfully cool and blustery day. In four hours we passed one sailboat, one speed-boat and two other party boats. That’s the kind of kidnapping I like. Let’s go be kids. Let’s go have fun.

Today’s musical track is a gem straight out of the pirate’s booty chest. Big Bad Bobby Burns singing lead vocals and rhythm guitar. Scot and Bobby, as I have mentioned previously in these pages, still stands a lot like Scot. He’s a big ole bear of a guy, and he sings and had instincts very much like Scots. On this track we have Scot backing of Bobby singing some super-fine harmonies on top of Bobby’s version of the Jaeger/Richard song, “Dead Flowers.” Wonder what this song was about? See if you don’t here the similarities between Scot and Bobby’s voices? It’s almost like double tracking! Scot is also playing bass on this track. Jerry Farnsworth is pickin’ through the golden coins on lead guitar, and blessing be upon him, Kenny Wright, so there on drums. Also playing on this track is my friend Larry Vessily, sliding in and out of the groove on his organ. I love this track.

The art for today is a quick nautical piece. Here’s an example of the type of drawing Scot would do, day-in, day-out on anything, with anything handy. People used to ask me in our booth at the art fairs, how long it took Scot to do a certain piece of artwork. People are so used to equating the amount of time it takes to make something, directly with its value. In Scot’s case, it was hard for me to separate that particular piece out from the fifty other million drawings he did. Here’s the answer I always wanted to give, “A life time.”







No comments: